Chiropractic treatment of knee pain
We have outlined the process of our treatment below to give you an idea of our approach. We would normally modify the treatment to suit each patient and their specific conditions. So the type of treatment that is most appropriate for one person is not necessarily right for another.
Stage 1: Reduce joint inflammation and reduce pain.
- Avoidance of aggravating factors, use of a support, sports tape
- Ice to reduce inflammation, muscle spasm and pain
- Soft tissue healing: laser, ultrasound and interferential therapy
Stage 2: Normalise joint function
- Specific chiropractic manipulation and mobilisation techniques to areas of restricted movement in the knee and surrounding joints, to increase movement, improve the function and reduce pain
- Deep soft tissue massage, trigger-point therapy and cross-friction.
Stage 3: Rehabilitation exercise programme.
- When appropriate we introduce exercises to improve strength, endurance and stability. We also work on improving your balance and your sense of joint position (proprioception). This will help you to return to normal and also prevent new injuries.